Make your favourite takeaway at home.
This seems to be on the list of everyone’s favourite Thai dishes. But rather than go for the takeout version, who not try and make it yourself? This simplified version is quick to make and still has all the aromatic flavour you would expect, and will have your kitchen smelling incredible, as well as being a beautiful, brightly coloured dinner.
250g noodles of your choice
3 garlic cloves, crushed
a bunch of fresh coriander, leaves removed and stalks chopped finely
a red chilli, chopped finely
2 limes, juice and zest
6 spring onions, finely sliced
other vegetables of your choice – shredded cabbage, bean sprouts and grated carrot all work well
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
2 eggs, beaten
a large handful of chopped, salted peanuts
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a wok or frying pan and add the garlic, chilli, lime zest and coriander stalks. Fry for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the prawns. If using raw prawns, wait until they are cooked, then add your vegetables. If using cooked, you can add them all together.
- Stir for a few minutes until the vegetables have softened a little and everything is coated in the garlic, chilli, lime and coriander mix.
- Add the noodles, then the brown sugar, lime juice and fish sauce and cook until thoroughly coated.
- Pour over the beaten egg and mix until just cooked. Divide between bowls and top with the coriander leaves and peanuts, and some more spring onion.