Stuck for brunch ideas? This is the perfect brunch recipe, quick, easy and delicious.
Eggs are the star of many a brunch, and here they come nestled in spicy tomato sauce, topped with creamy avocado, cheese, and finished with a sprinkling of coriander and a hit of lime. This Mexican breakfast is deliciously satisfying, with a medley of flavours and textures. The recipe can easily be adapted to serve a lot of people, or even just one. Similarly, the ingredients don’t have to be stuck to religiously. Throw in spinach, mushroom, spring onions, whatever you happen to have in the fridge. The avocado can also be mashed with the lime juice to make guac if you prefer.
Ingredients (1 serving, multiply as necessary)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 onion, diced
- Clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 diced chilli
- 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 lime
- grated cheddar for sprinkling
- handful coriander leaves
- sea salt and black pepper
- Start by frying the onion until soft. Add the pepper, garlic, chilli, and paprika and fry for a further few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and a little water. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to thicken for a few minutes, then crack the eggs into the sauce. Cover the pan and leave for several minutes until the eggs have cooked.
- Meanwhile, either slice your avocado or mash it with the lime juice.
- When the eggs are cooked (we like to leave the yolks runny), and the sauce is nice and thick, sprinkle over the coriander and cheese, and spoon the avocado/guac on top.
Don’t feel like cooking? Four Square have rounded up the best places you can get this Mexican treat in London: